Wednesday 8 April 2015

Am I Shallow?



'Is blogging shallow?' is a question I've asked myself many times over the three years I've been writing this blog. At first I didn't even think about it- it was purely a way for me to get some writing experience outside of school and fashion and beauty was an easy way in as it's something I'm interested in. As I've got more involved in the blogging community as a whole, it's become a question that's often on my mind. Often telling people "I write about fashion and beauty" is met with surprised looks and I can sense that some people who don't really know me assume that I'm shallow or that all I must care about is my appearance.

Of course, blogging does involving spending a lot of time taking or having photos taken of myself, and for beauty blogging in particular, spending a lot of time getting ready to make sure my photos look their best. But does that make me shallow? After much consideration, I've decided the answer is no. Yes, I enjoy looking nice and spending time and money on my appearance but equally it's not all I care about. it's a small detail of my life and I know there are much more important things. Blogging has also given me a huge confidence boost- ladies (and guys too) of all shapes, sizes and appearances all are united by this (on the whole) supportive community. It's not about looking the best in a size 6 dress from Topshop- it's about expressing yourself no matter what you look like. I'm no Emma Watson and I've accepted that, but it's partly thanks to blogging that I have the body confidence I do today. I can wear what I like and look how I want and as long as I'm happy with it, that's all that matters. Sharing it with the world and getting good feedback is purely a bonus. So no, I don't think blogging is shallow and I now take pride in telling people that I write about fashion and beauty. Let people think what they like about it- blogging is a great thing and I won't let anyone take that away from me.


Olivia Ellen XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...