Friday 7 November 2014

Back to Bases




Following on from my recent post where I talked all things eyeliners, I thought today I'd chat my was through all the foundations and tinted base products I own. We'll start with full on foundations:

L'Oreal True Match in Rose Beige (full review): I really adore this foundation. I decided to buy it after seeing so many people rave about it and it's really served me well. It has quite a high medium coverage and the shade is pretty accurate to me skin- I could probably get away with a shade lighter but this still works for me. I use this most when I want a flawless and quite full-looking finish.

Max Factor Face-Finity All Day Flawless in Warm Almond: I haven't actually done a full review of this yet and I'm not sure I will as I don't have a huge amount to say about it. I was really struggling in store to decide which shade to buy- as you can probably see in the picture, it does look substantially lighter than the True Match yet it's probably a better match for my skin and looks slightly more natural. It really does stay flawless all day and has a natural-matte finish, so when I do want that extra bit of glow, this probably isn't the foundation I reach for.

Maybelline Better Skin in Nude (full review): Though saying in my original review that I was looking forward to getting a lot of use out of this but since then I can't say I've used it loads. The main problem is that it's just that tad too dark- I can blend it right down my neck to make it match but when I've done all that the easier thing to do would have just been to use a lighter foundation. That's not to say it's not a nice foundation- it is, with a natural and lightweight feel.

Bourjois 123 Perfect in Vanilla: I used to wear this foundation a hell of a lot- it was most definitely my go-to. It gets less wear now as I find it occasionally goes a little bit patchy if you don't apply generously but this is probably just because it's coming to the end of it's life. This actually has quite a matte finish and it's very good at covering any redness.

Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream in Light (full review): This light base is perfect for a very natural look. It's best at covering redness and minimising the appearance of pores. I also find that it has a nice semi-matte finish which means that, unless I have any concealer on, I don't need to powder to reduce shine.

MUA Pro Base Concealer Kit in Light: OK, this is kind of cheating as technically this is a concealer, however I rarely use this on top of foundation or any other base. If I want a no make-up day, but I have some horrible blemishes I can't face leaving bare, I just take the shade on the left and dab a small amount on. It's such a good match to my natural skin that it blends in perfectly and you can hardly tell it's there, even though the blemish has practically disappeared.

Bourjois 123 Perfect CC Cream in Light Beige: This is possibly one of my favourite bases I own and probably the one I find myself reaching for most. It's got good light to medium coverage but what really sells it to me is the glow that comes with it. It's so brightening and radiance boosting- it really does it all without being too heavy.

Bare Minerals Powder Foundation in Fairly Light: The thing I like most about this product is how multi purpose it is. I like to use it alone as a foundation when I want a really glowing but natural look. It's also great for touch ups- for example if I come home and don't have long to get ready before heading out again, I can sweep this over my existing make-up to give it a little extra coverage and glow that really refreshes the look. Finally, if my under eyes are looking a little dull, I take a little of the powder on a concealer brush to really brighten that area. While it is the most expensive foundation I own, it lasts a really long time.

Covergirl Whipped Creme in 305: Unfortunately this product has now been discontinued in America, but their sister brand, Max Factor, do a very similar product here in the UK. This is the second tub of the stuff I've been through but this just doesn't really work for me anymore. The shade is just too light, and no matter how much instant tan I mix it with, it just won't be right for my skin. The wrong shade also means that the coverage just isn't there, despite loving this product when I owned the darker shade.

Max Factor Miracle Touch in Creamy Ivory: I'm really surprised this product isn't big in the blogging world because to me it is everything I want in a night-out face. I was actually getting ready with a group of friends the other night, and whilst one of them was watching me apply this she said "that stuff is like a miracle worker" which I think pretty much sums it up. It has medium to full coverage and loads of glow to really brighten the skin. I like to apply it with a damp beauty sponge and just kind of stipple in into the skin until I'm happy that it's suitably blended. The shade is just right for me and so is, with a bit of powder for a helping hand, the staying power. I'd probably never wear this in a daytime because I think it would just be too much but for an evening out, it's perfect.

Is there another category of product you'd like me to talk through my collection of? Palettes, mascaras, concealers? Let me know in the comments!

Olivia Ellen XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...